Search Engine Optimization starts with the very need and desire of getting found on the first page of google search result, so is it very difficult? No, But It requires us to think like a search engine.So welcome to the Free complete SEO guide for 2015 for all the tactics and SEO tools you need to know in order to rank higher in google search result.
So Search Engine Optimization is basically two types. On-site Optimization which is basic changes which you made to your website and Off-Site Optimization is everything else like links and social media.
On-site SEO: Research topics
- What do people search most or what queries people type to search for product and services you offer? This is Google keyword research.
- Use Keyword Planner its a very Powerful tool it can even forecast the number of impressions you can have for next few months or Google Analytics or any third party tool.
- Go Broad Match for General Page topics instead of phrase match or exact match. This will give you a much higher traffic.
- Having said that you can create a list of Broad match topics and then select Exact Match from it but only if it’s Natural and only if it make sense. Some terms make sense as search queries but not as page title, so you do not want to make it look Unnatural.
- Think local when doing SEO because google is going to ignore keywords to some extent for example if someone type a query for dance classes google is going to show the result for dance classes in their particular location or adjoining areas.So go down to the local level when doing SEO.
- Watch for Mobile Vs Desktop traffic, your site should be mobile optimized to take the advantage of the mobile traffic.
On-site SEO: Design pages for your website
- So your have done your Keyword research and now ready to make your pages. This goes not only for users who are developing a new website but also for those who are adding new pages to their existing site.How many topics you want to put on a page? No more than 1 topics per page you don’t want more than 1 main keyword or keyphrase per page and that’s the topics for that page.
- You can also put the keyword in URL or Title, Heading1 -4 and content.Using the keyword in Title is preferred. Another Quick note for Exact Match Domain(EMD) is that they are risky. Search metrics in 2015 have shown that they are not of much help either. Exact match domain has an extra algorithm known as EMD Algorithm like PANDA which try to demote them and it seem to be susceptible to PENGUIN.Go for a catchy domain name which reflect brand recognition which people can remember over time instead of Risky EMD.
- When writing write for humans- be precise and not be repetitive.
- Write Title /Description for CTR, CTR is extremely Important. You can use this awesome free SEO tool– websiteadvantage.com.au/Google-SERP-Emulator. This will show you exactly what your snippet would look like, you can also use Adwords Ad Preview and Diagnostic tool also. Use psychological power words like Free, Now, New, You to improve CTR.Better Click through rate means Better Ranking.
- Stay Fresh: Update content on your site regularly, upload new content, never delete a page if required always go for editing instead of deletion.Have an “updated on”, Current copyright and year in Title tag if room.
STRUCTURED DATA: This is another important thing in SEO 2015 that people underestimate entirely.The biggest Algorithm change in last 2 years has been Hummingbird. Since Hummingbird, google does not rank web pages.It ranks entities that have an associated URL. Let’s discuss this in some more detail with an example.
Google will crawl the web pages of the website and develop factoids from it which will include information such as author, product or services offered, contact information etc. Factoid are a part of entity another part of the entity is derived from off-page schema references like Wikipedia, blogs which talk about you, ratings and reviews from third party sources and not only this they will get information from social media too like twitter, g+, FB and more.
SCHEMA Gets big results: Fills in the “entity fabric” for google in building up what sites are best and what they are about.It makes them understand page type whether it’s an article page, product page, purchase page, contact page etc. It gets access to knowledge panel including “In-depth Articles”, It’s a very powerful 2015 off-page ranking factor.
Structured Data Tips:
- Use Webmaster tool and check there are no errors in schema or Hatom
- Use Webmaster tool data highlighter and Schema.org to define, freebase.org to define entity, & Ratings to get third party reference/quality signals
THINK SEO THINK LOCAL
After the Pigeon update that is a new algorithm to provide more useful, relevant and accurate local search results that are tied more closely to traditional web search ranking signals. Google stated that this new algorithm improves their distance and location ranking parameters. Following should be done to in order to rank higher locally.
- Enhanced Listing is very helpful, Get yourself local Google business photographer and get yourself listed.
- Maximize your map listing, Include more entity information like if you have free parking or bonuses etc include them in your listing information.
- Have a quality site, Ensure that every user is completing the task at given page. For example if it’s a sign-up page, people are signing up or if it’s a contact page then people are contacting you. You don’t want users to bounce back to google and search for another site, believe me, this is not at all good for your ranking.
- Have multiple good reviews from WIKI, forums, blogs etc.
- Be mobile optimized, watch desktop vs mobile Traffic.
OFF-PAGE OPTIMIZATION: LINK BUILDING
In 2015, you still need links but the quality is more Important than quantity. Get Links from sources which google trust.
- High Authority sites which represent real businesses and that have a high trust rank, not just some spammy sites selling links for few dollars.
- You should avoid links from multi-topic sites or a site which already is linking to a large number of other sites. If a site is already having 50 links to some other sites you certainly don’t want to get a link from that site.
- Main content link.
- Anchor text with natural stop words like “good site for organic food” etc
- An appropriate quantity of links, don’t match current spam pattern.
Links Ignored By Google:
- Links from new blogs or multitopic sites are ignored by google.
- Manual post sites or Directories, Articles, etc.
- Followed sidebar or footer links
- Comments, Social bookmarks, etc
OFF-PAGE OPTIMIZATION: SOCIAL MEDIA
- Sharing of your pages by users on social media helps a lot, Google seeing it that some content going viral help you rank faster and higher.(Twitter, Google+, Facebook etc) .
- You also need to have activity in associated profiles, that tells google that you are a real site, you have an official sounding fan page or business page which has a lot of activities and is associated with your website that is a very good signal for Google telling it that you are a real site.In order to get it, the following should be done.
- Post share-worthy content, Engage, Talk, Comment with the users
- Get Buzz from Experts, If you have any expert in your field reach out to them and get them talking to you on your social media profile or get them commenting on your post or twits.
- So there is no sandbox for what’s trending, the more popular the more you will rank for a topic.
- Get all the positive mentions/Ratings u can.
So it’s not that difficult to rank Higher in Google but you have to jump these sharks which are DEMOTERS
PANDA: It’s the single biggest demoter algorithm moving forward, It’s based upon usage metrics & on/off page factors. Google’s Panda Update is a search filter meant to stop sites with poor quality content from working their way into Google’s top search results. Panda is updated from time-to-time. When this happens, sites previously hit may escape if they’ve made the right changes. Panda may also catch sites that escaped before. A refresh also means “false positives” might get released. So apart from 23 question and answers from google on what should and shouldn’t be done to avoid panda here are some do’s and don’t.
1. First and the foremost thing is to have the Satisfied users.
2. Your website should have professional finishing.
3. You should have legit business signals
4. Outlink to authorities
5. Be shared, liked, and Reviewed.
- You just don’t want to crap content for the sake of SEO, this is what panda eats so don’t make SEO content.
- Do not duplicate or stuff content with keywords just to rank higher in google, it’s of no use.
- Don’t have a bad reputation out there.
- Annoy User with Ads and Pop-ups.
- Don’t have naked affiliate links.
PENGUIN: It’s a “web spam” or “over optimization” Algorithm to better catch sites deemed to be spamming its search results, in particular, those doing so by buying links or obtaining them through link networks designed primarily to boost Google rankings. When a new Penguin Update is released, sites that have taken action to remove bad links can regain their ranking. It’s a page based Algorithm. It put a flag on the page which is affected.
How to remove it?
- Remove on-page keyword repetition.
- Delete at least 80% of exact match query backlinks pointing to that particular page.
- 404 or delete the target page because it’s a page based Algorithm.
PAYDAY LOANS: This algorithm specifically targets “very spammy queries”. The 2.0 version targeted spammy sites, whereas version 3.0 targets spammy queries.What exactly that means is not 100% clear. But the types of queries this targets includes terms like [payday loans], [casinos], [viagra] and other forms of highly spammy queries.
NEGATIVE SEO: Negative SEO occurs when someone makes an attempt to lower a site’s rankings in the search engines. There are multiple ways that this can be attempted. The most common type of negative SEO that gets discussed is link based negative SEO, but there are many other techniques that unscrupulous people can use to try to reduce your rankings.
- Set up Google webmaster tool Email Alerts
Google can send you email alerts when:
- Your website is being attacked by malware
- Your pages are not indexed
- You have server connectivity problems
- You get a manual penalty from Google
If you haven’t already, connect your website to Google Webmaster Tools.
- Keep track of your backlink profiles:This is the most important action to take to prevent spammers from succeeding. Most often, they will perform negative SEO against your website by building low-quality links or redirects. It is vitally important to know when someone is creating links or redirects to your website.You can use tools like Ahrefs or Open Site Explorer, from time to time, to manually check if someone is building links to your website
- Secure your website from malware and hackers.
- Check for duplicate content with Copyscape.com.
- Find mentions of your company name on social media and websites withMention.net.
- Monitor website uptime with Pingdom.com.
If all above mentioned things are taken care of your site will definitely start ranking better in few months.
If you have any Suggestions or Feedback on the topic, do let me know in the comment section.